Friday, July 15, 2011

Week 24


Oh, more fun in Nicaragua. I've been out of town and so I missed 2 weeks and now I have to play catch up. Oh well. Such is life, at least I'm trying to stay on top of things. =)

So, week 24 came and went and Kai is continuing to grow. I'm pretty sure that at this point he is just putting on weight. He weighs just over a pound and is about a foot long, the size of an ear of corn. I can't say that I've ever looked at a piece of corn (or any item in the produce section) and thought about comparing its size to that of a developing child. It really puts my local grocer's fresh produce aisle come to life. =) He now looks like a complete human, just lacking all the baby fat. Pretty much looks like an anorexic little baby, at least that's what I envision. His brain is continuing to rapidly develop and his taste buds are also forming still.

His lungs are developing the little branches and air sacs that will one day be filled with life-giving oxygen. They are also producing the cells that will produce surfactant, a substance that will help his little lungs inflate with air once he leaves his watery home, trading the fish pool for the real world.

We can tell that Kai is growing, because Lisa's tummy just continues to stick farther and farther out. Her belly button is now an outie for the most part. She always said she never wanted that to happen, but "POP" it's out! It's also amazing to actually watch her stomach move with Kai's activity. You can see the bumps, kicks, punches, stretches, hiccups, etc. It really is pretty cool to watch. Only 16 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment