Saturday, October 1, 2011

Kai

My mom actually looked this up and I wanted to post it hear so I don't forget it. It means a lot to me to have a name that has significance and meaning, so here it is for Kai.

In Hawaiian, Kai means "ocean" or "ocean water"
In Japanese, Kai may mean "big water", "ocean", "the sea", "paddle", "change", "receiver", "taker", "meditation", "forgiveness"
In Latin, Kai means "rejoice"

Noé is Spanish for Noah and means "peace, comfort, rest." We chose Kai Noé for it's meanings, because he is miracle and we rejoice in his birth. We find our peace, comfort, and rest in the God who made him and created him especially for us. Coincidentally, Noah sailed on the "ocean water" or Kai. =)

Here are the meanings that my mom discovered.

In Yoruba, a Nigerian language, Kai means "love"
In North Germanic languages, Kai means "keeper of the keys."
In Scandinavian languages, Kai means "rejoice"
In Finnish, Kai is a common male name meaning "probably"
In Chinese, Kai is a given name which can be one of several characters, meaning "victory" or "triumphant"
In Burmese, Kai means "strong" or "unbreakable"

All of these hold great meaning for us. He is our victorious, triumphant warrior, strong and unbreakable. He is our love, we rejoice in his birth, celebrate it, and give glory to our God and Father for his precious life. I hope you enjoy this little post.

His name is just a reminder to me that words have power, our words carry life and death, blessing and cursing. Names are important and I believe affect the life of a child, because each time we say their name we reaffirm it's meaning. Joshua is Yeshua in Hebrew, the same name of Jesus, and means "The Lord is my salvation". Eric means "boldness". I am bold the Lord my salvation. Names are important, not just for how they sound, but for what they mean.

Lisa means "oath of God."

We rejoice today, Father, in Kai, our victorious warrior. Watch over him, keep him, heal him, and get him home to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment